Australian Family Visa

Australian Family Visa is a very common application for us as we find many people want to bring their partners or other family members from their home country to come and live in Australia. The most popular visas in this category are Partner and Fiance Visas .

Unfortunately, it’s not always as easy as that. The Department of Immigration (DoHA) has very strict rules governing who can come to Australia and for how long.

Family Visas are among the most popular but can be difficult to secure. It is best to have each family member’s visa eligibility first before discussing the details of your migration pathway.

Many people have high hopes for bringing their partner or de-facto spouse, parent, child or remaining relative to live with them in Australia, but quickly become frustrated at the sometimes confusing application process and what can feel like impossible-to-meet requirements

While it is true that the DoHA maintains rather stringent criteria for most categories in Australian Family Visas, professional assistance from an Australian Registered Migration Agent can ease your worries.

The process is not straight-forward so engage ASC Migration to help you and ensure that you have the documentation you need in order to provide the proof for any visa in the Family visa category.

Due to the complicated application process and requirements, it is quite common for people pursuing Family Visas to seek professional assistance after having an application rejected.

To save time and money, and to avoid frustration, the best course of action is to obtain the assistance of a migration expert prior to submitting a Family Visa application.

Feel free to contact us for more information or complete a Free Assessment for Australian Parent Visa in the UK or an Australian Family Visa in the UK.

All Family Visas

Click the ‘+’ sign

Partner and de facto spouse visas are one of the most complicated types of visas to apply for. Consequently the complexities involved with applying for a visa in this category should not be under-estimated.

This visa allows you to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of your married or your de facto relationship with your partner.

You may include your dependent children (including step-children) in your visa application (conditions apply).

The visa is granted;

  • on a temporary visa (for a waiting period of approximately two years)
  • on a permanent visa if, after the waiting period, your partner relationship still exists and you are still eligible for this visa.
  • on a permanent visa if children are included in your application (Conditions Apply)

Your partner must be eligible to provide sponsorship for you and if you applied for this visa from outside Australia.

  • you will be permitted to enter Australia after the temporary visa is granted.
  • you will be entitled to work in Australia
  • you will be entitled to study in Australia.
  • you may enrol in Australia’s medical and hospital care scheme, Medicare.

OR if you are granted a permanent visa –

  • you are permitted to enter or remain permanently in Australia
  • you are entitled to work and study in Australia
  • you may enrol in Australia’s medical benefits scheme, Medicare.
  • you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments
  • you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship

A de facto spouse applicant must be at least 18 years at the time of application.

You and your partner must have been in a de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application and you must provide evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship (this requirement can be waived in certain circumstances).

Unfortunately, many people do not seek professional assistance when applying for Partner or De Facto Spouse Visas, which is part of the reason it has a 72% rejection rate.

While this may seem like a gloomy number, you can minimise the risk of a refusal by engaging the professionals at ASC Migration.

To find out if you and your partner meet the requirements for this visa pathway, begin by completing a Free Assessment today.

If you are a Fiance(é) of & in a relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible NZ citizen this visa will allow you to migrate here.

Fiancé (or Prospective Marriage Visas) also allow people from overseas who are in a genuine and continuing relationship with the same type of person to enter Australia.

You must be sponsored by this person and you must marry your fiance(é) within a specified time. Once married, holders of this visa can then apply to remain permanently in Australia.

What does the visa let you do?

With this visa, you can:

  • enter Australia before you marry your fiancé
  • leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa ceases
  • work in Australia
  • apply for a Partner visa in Australia after you marry your fiancé
  • study, but you will not have access to government funding
  • use Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare.

You must be able to legally marry according to Australian law and you must be of the opposite sex to your intended spouse. Same-sex couples are not eligible for this visa. See Partner and De Facto Spouse Visas instead

You must have met (as adults) your intended spouse in person and know him or her personally. This must be the case even if:

  • it is an arranged marriage
  • you met on the internet

To find out if this visa is right for you, begin your journey with a Free Assessment today.

A visa is for parents to migrate to Australia permanently to join their settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen child in Australia.

This visa requires that you be sponsored, usually by your child in Australia.

You must be the parent of a child or stepchild who has been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, (normally two years) as either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Also, at least half of your children must be usually resident in Australia OR you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.

There are 2 categories of parent visas:
• the Non- Contributory Parent category; and
• the Contributory Parent category.

The Non- Contributory Parent category is a direct pathway to permanent residence and can take up to 15 years to process.

The Contributory Parent category has 2 options. Applicants can apply directly for permanent residency or go through a 2-stage, 2-visa pathway to permanent residence. Visas in this category usually take approximately 36 months to process.

The Contributory Parent category visa has a substantially higher (2nd instalment) visa application charge for each adult applicant so as to make a higher contribution towards their future health and welfare costs.

However, contributory parent visa applicants are significantly advantaged by much shorter processing times. They can also use the 2nd option to pay those costs in 2 instalments.


If a parent does not meet the balance of family test (i.e. if half of their children do not reside in Australia) they can now apply for and be granted a Parent (Temporary) visa for periods of either 3 or 5 years (that can be renewed). This is a significant new development that provides opportunities for overseas parents to temporarily migrate to Australia. Contact Us now for further information or complete a Free Assessment today.

Other varieties of visas available in this category, many of which are not commonly applied for, can be more difficult to secure such as Child VisasRemaining Relative VisasOrphan VisasAdoption Visas and Carer Visas etc.

These other Family Visas are issued under strict and in fairly rare circumstances and typically require extensive detail and documentation as part of the application process.

If you are interested in securing other Family Visas, take the first step today by completing a Free Assessment to understand your basic eligibility for an Australian visa.

[tcpaccordion id=”633″]

To begin the process of securing a Family Visa in the UK or Europe or any type of an Australian Family Visa please Contact Us or complete a Free Assessment today.

*By choosing ASC Migration to process and lodge any Australian Family Visa application, you can save thousands of dollars compared to other migration agents. See our Fees and Costs page for more information.


    Skilled Visas Business Visas Employer Sponsored Visas Family Visas Student Visas Other