Regional Studying International Students
International students studying at all locations outside Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will be offered an extension on the current two-year Post-study work stream, which applies to Bachelor and Masters by coursework graduates.
Eligibility will include international students who studied at a regional campus of a metropolitan university. These additional post-study work arrangements will become available in 2021, and will require ongoing residence in a regional area.
- International graduates who have studied and lived in Category 2 area (see below) will be eligible for an additional year on a second Temporary Graduate visa.
- International graduates who have studied and lived in Category 3 area (see below) will be eligible for an additional two years on a second Temporary Graduate visa.
This initiative will provide an additional incentive for international students to study at a regional institution and to live in regional areas post-study, boosting diversity and prosperity in regional Australia.
There is no change to current Student visas. This option is available as an initiative for international students to study and live in regional Australia
Eligible regional areas & Categories
The regional definition is comprised of the following 3 categories.
The regional definition offers regional incentives for skilled migrants who migrate to locations classified as Category 2 ‘Cities and Major Regional Centres’ or Category 3 ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas’.
- Category 1 – ‘Major Cities’ of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane do not receive any regional incentives
- Category 2 – ‘Cities and Major Regional Centres’ of Perth, Adelaide, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart
- Category 3 – ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas’
To fully understand the factors that will affect your eligibility and to determine if you meet the basic requirements in this visa category please order an Eligibility Analysis – International Student Visa Applicant Only analysis HERE